For group orientation, lectures, guided museum tour or treasure hunt for children, please call the museum for reservations at (912) 638-4050.
Established in 1965 by Georgia's Bishop Arthur J. Moore, the Methodist Museum brought a new day for preservation of Georgia, St. Simons Island and Methodist history. Since 1974, the Museum has been the depository for the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church archival records.
Centuries of history unfold... Through displays of the Wesleys in Georgia, the Battle of Bloody Marsh, the Colonial and plantation era, the lumber mill and truck-farming days.
Treasures on display... Handwritten letters of John Wesley and Francis Asbury, Bishop Moore's rare oriental porcelain collection, Howard Chandler Christy painting of Christ, figurines, communion sets, historic photographs.
Missionaries in America... Development of Methodism in America, 1784 founding conference of American Methodism,
Francis Asbury ordained first Methodist Bishop in America, The American Circuit Rider, the pioneer days and early American
Library... A 6,000 volume collection is available for genealogical and scholarly research. Journals, biographies,
diaries, references on Wesley and early Methodism, South Georgia Conference History, General/Jurisdictional Conference minutes
and other publications, letters and manuscripts are available. A collection on the Wesleys in Georgia is of particular interest.
A nine-minute video presents the development of Methodism on St. Simons Island, history of the island and features modern attractions and amenities.